A decision to donate life is among the most powerfully positive decisions an individual can make. Just look at the good it can do:
- Kidney transplantation allows the recipient to live a life free from dialysis treatments.
- Pancreas transplantation releases the diabetic from insulin therapy and halts the progress of a ravaging disease.
- Liver transplantation saves the lives of many children, as well as adults.
- Heart, heart-lung and lung transplantation gives hope to thousands of people and their families.
- Cornea transplants let people see the beauty of the world around them.
- Intestinal transplants let the recipients receive life-sustaining nutrients and energy from food instead of tubes and chemical support.
- Heart valves save the lives of those threatened by disease or malfunction.
- Bone and tendons are used to restore function, prevent limb amputation and dramatically impact the quality of life for the recipient.
- Donated skin provides an immediate covering to protect burn victims from infection.
- A living donor can give a kidney, partial liver, lung, bone marrow and blood to help save the life of another.
Printer Friendly Format